Pressure-Cooker Short Ribs
These tender shortribs, exploding with flavor are the perfect dish to stand up to the full-bodied, lucious Episode Red Blend.
Recipe provided by Taste of Home
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker and adjust for medium heat. Add oil. Working in batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add onions to cooker; cook and stir until tender, 8-9 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in beef broth, wine, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add ribs back to cooker, partially but not fully submerging them. Lock lid; close the pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 40 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Add carrots; bring back to full pressure and cook 7 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Press cancel.
- Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Select saute setting and adjust for medium heat; bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Serve with ribs and vegetables.